Trolley Extension/Light Rail Transit
Construction start: October 2016
Expected start of service: 2021
A project of the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), the Mid-Coast Corridor Transit Project is an 11-mile extension of the MTS Trolley Blue Line service from Santa Fe Depot in Downtown San Diego north to University City. The Trolley extension will serve major activity centers, such as Old Town, UC San Diego and Westfield UTC.
Nine new Trolley stations will be built as part of the project with locations at: Tecolote Road, Clairemont Drive, Balboa Avenue, Nobel Drive, VA Medical Center, Pepper Canyon (UC San Diego west campus), Voigt Drive (UC San Diego east campus), Executive Drive and the Westfield UTC transit center (the Trolley’s terminus station).
Once completed, the Trolley extension will provide an effective campus commuting alternative, reduce roadway congestion, improve public transit services, and better connect the Mid-Coast Corridor with areas of San Diego County already served by existing Trolley routes.
During construction, expect the following:
- The contractor, Mid-Coast Transit Constructors (MCTC), will occupy portions of Pepper Canyon, Lyman Lane, Gilman Drive, Voigt Drive, Campus Point Drive and parking lots P701, P702 and P705.
- Initial construction activities include fencing construction staging areas, contractor move-in, tree removal and clearing, demolition of parking lots and underground utility work.
- Intermittent street and pedestrian impacts will take place as construction continues.
- Bike lanes will be intermittently impacted and may be detoured.
- Flaggers and traffic control measures will be used as needed to maintain safe conditions.
Standard hours of construction will be:
- East Campus/UC San Diego Health – La Jolla: 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday
- West Campus: 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Monday through Friday with intermittent Saturday work
Work performed outside of these hours will need prior approval from an authorized UC San Diego representative.
- P705 will close for the duration of construction. (Effective Jan. 9, 2017)
- P702 will close permanently. (Effective Jan. 9, 2017)
- A small portion of P701 will be impacted by construction fencing. (Expected April 2017)
During construction, motorists are urged to slow down. All travelers are encouraged to give themselves more time and anticipate possible traffic delays.
- Visit the SANDAG Project Website or KeepSanDiegoMoving.com/Midcoast.
- Stay up-to-date – Follow the Mid-Coast Trolley project on Twitter and Facebook or sign-up to receive the newsletter.
- Contact the Mid-Coast Trolley Project Team with questions at email@example.com or (877) 379-0110.
- Improve your commute during construction, visit Shift San Diego.
- For UC San Diego inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.