Gilman Drive/Gilman Bridge
Construction start/Anticipated completion:
- January 2016 for Gilman Drive Realignment/Completed early 2017
- Fall 2016 for Gilman Bridge/Anticipated completion in 2019
To facilitate smooth traffic flow, the bridge and intersections on both sides will have three-lane configurations: One lane of traffic each way with a protected left-hand turn lane. Sidewalks and bicycle lanes will also be included on the bridge.
Construction to realign Gilman Drive will begin January 2016 and will last until early 2017. The realignment will reconfigure and widen Gilman Drive from Villa La Jolla east and north towards Voigt Drive and will provide a new four-way signalized intersection to improve campus circulation. The realignment will facilitate connection to the future Gilman Bridge project that will be implemented by Caltrans.
During construction, expect the following:
- Gilman Drive will remain available but there will be intermittent traffic delays near the VA Medical Center. Signage and flaggers will be posted to help direct traffic.
- Access to the VA Medical Center and Villa La Jolla Drive will be maintained throughout the project.
- Pedestrian pathways will be impacted and pedestrians may be directed to adjacent walkways during some phases of construction.
- Bicycle traffic through construction areas may be periodically redirected to adjacent sidewalks or pathways.
- Emergency responders will have access to nearby hospitals 24 hours/day, seven days/week.
- Overnight lane closures will occur as needed.
- Bus stops near the VA Medical Center along Gilman Drive may be periodically relocated during construction.
As a result of construction, two parking lots will be impacted:
- Parking Lot P406 at Sixth College/Pepper Canyon will be partially or completely closed during construction depending on the schedule of work. Beginning the evening of June 26, 2016, P406 will be completely closed. The lot may return to service in early 2017 once construction on the realignment is completed.
- Parking Lot P651, the temporary lot located across Gilman Drive from P406, will be closed permanently effective Jan. 18, 2016.
During construction, motorists are urged to slow down. All travelers are encouraged to give themselves more time and anticipate possible traffic delays.
UC San Diego and Caltrans